Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First Birthday Party

This is just one of the layouts about his first birthday. It's such a big occasion that there is no way I could get everything into one layout. You may think it's a tad overboard, rightly so, I apologize in advance.

Every page will be done primarily with the Bella Blvd. Birthday Boy and Birthday Girl collections. I actually based the colors for the party of those collections, why not have a built in collection to turn to when it comes time to scrap? Since the theme, hot air balloons, really do not have a specific color palette built in it seemed like a good way to go.

Now to the layout.

This is based on a sketch from, Sketches for Scrapbooking Vol. 8 by Scrapbook Generations. You will see me talk a lot about these books because they have truly changed the way I scrap. My layout is based on the last sketch in the book, #30. I made several changes, most notably that I added one extra photo giving me 14 in total.

Left side close up. I think this could easily be adapted to a one page layout by scooting the photos and patterned paper over one to two inches.
I love all the photos that you can fit on this layout. It makes it very easy to really capture what happened a big event.

This features the Two Peas in a Bucket free NSD cut file, those tickets are adorable and I thought it would make the perfect accent on this page. Originally I had enamel dots near the brad and every time I walked by the layout something bugged me. I switched those out for wood veneer stars covered in stickles and all was right with the world. A reminder that just because something might be a hot embellishment to use that doesn't mean you have to use it.

The use of some American Crafts glitter paper and stickles on the stars makes it perfect for Shimelle's make it sparkle challenge. Boy pages can use glitter too.

I like to use a visual triangle when creating my embellishment cluster but the design didn't allow for that as easily as most layouts. The balloons behind my son can be seen in other photos giving me the perfect space for an extra hit of embellishment and sparkle.

National Scrapbooking Day challenges are still running in some places and this layout will be linked to:

Shimelle's Scrapbook a Double Page Layout Challenge

Shimelle's Fancy Cutting Challenge

Shimelle's Make it Sparkle Challenge

Two Peas in a Bucket NSD Freebie Cut File Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Love your page! I've been drawn to orange colors and tangerine lately. Especially together with turquoise/teal. It's such a beautiful color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those colors! What a beautiful page :)
    I still haven't made a page with those cut files yet but they sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment!